awards
1,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 18:56:26 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Whelp, the secret training was fun while it lasted. Oscar could not possibly keep all of his previous vict--ahem, participants quiet forever. It was inevitable that word would get out about Oscar's so-called 'Survival Training', and before long no one would be falling for Oscar's trickery. Oh well, it could not stay that way forever. The training wheels were off, it was time for Oscar to use what he has learned thus far and take this training exercise seriously.

He put out an open invitation, this time rebranding his training as 'A Test of Courage: Developing the Bravery to Face the Gods'. It was a grand little concept, the every-day grunt would probably shit themselves if forced to fight an Avatar and their patron. Perhaps with some experience they can be equipped with the tools to survive such encounters, using their wits and survival instincts to complete their duties despite the horrors that hunt them. Speaking of...

Oscar got some takers! He was rather surprised to find among them, Oscar would have assumed that Gavin of all people would already be brimming with bravery. It would be like a child trying to train a heavyweight champion in boxing. Yet Oscar accepted him anyway, after all who better than one of the Underbosses to show the grunts how this was done. Luckily the other two volunteers were indeed grunts, and @bishop. Oscar had yet to meet them, but he very much looked forward to tormen--TRAINING! Training them. 

This time Oscar called for everyone to meet up within the abandoned warehouse district of Slateport. Like always they were to bring nothing but a backpack full of a night's worth of supplies. No pokemon, no weapons, just them and what they could fit in a bag. Unlike the other times however, Genesect would be out in the open standing next to his master. It was part of this training being more open about the being ruthlessly hunting thing.

The meeting place was an old warehouse toward the middle of the district that Rocket used to use for Black Market Pokemon storage. It was defunct now, leaving behind only empty cages and a distinct feeling of dread. When all were gathered, Oscar would perform some simple small talk--

"Hey how's everyone's night going...oh you don't say...weather's been crazy lately...huh I never knew..."

Genesect just stared forward, patiently waiting for the pleasantries to be finished so that the fun could begin. Eventually Oscar cleared his throat, "Alright alright it's time to get started. Welcome to the Survival Test of Courage! Thanks for joining me tonight, I'm hoping that this is gonna be a great time and everyone will learn a lot. This is Genesect!" Gensect raised one of its bladed claws in greeting. "Genesect is going to relentlessly hunt you while you three try to solve a search-and-seize mission. This is to build up your resolve so you don't immediately piss your pants when facing an avatar."

Oscar handed each of them a map of the Warehouse district. At the edge of the district, in the cardinal directions, they would see red circles. Oscar continued. "You have until sunrise to reach each of these locations and fix the broken generators waiting for you. The generators will turn on the lights across the district, making it easier to see ol' Genesect coming. That's basically it, just get out there and complete the task by morning. Also don't get caught because Genesect will beat the living shit out of you. This is training for him too."

Genesect crossed its blades together, slowly rubbing them to make a most awful metallic screech. Oscar flicked the side of its head, "Don't do that, you'll dull your claws. How many times do I gotta tell ya?" Genesect drooped, it just wanted to look scary. Oscar shook his head before turning his attention to Gavin, "Oh! And Gavin, you get the honor of being the first Avatar to participate. It goes without saying though, no powers are permitted during training." 

Oscar clapped his hands together, "Anyway, the sun is setting and it's about to get really fucking dark so hop to it! You have a ten minute head start before the hunt commences. Go on get going! Hut two and shit!"

close tab

played by

thorn

the Harbinger
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
I want corruption, I think I'm the devil in disguise.
awards
8,431 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 11:37:58 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
What better way to assess your agents than to watch them shit their pants in terror?

Gavin's been fascinated with Genesect for a long time. That's no secret among those in Rocket who'd known of the dormant beast; he'd been enamored ever since catching wind of Cadis' pet project. Of course, meeting it for the first time when it was animated and out for the kill had been one of the singularly most traumatizing experiences one could go through, complete with the mechanical bug nearly sinking the submarine and killing them all, but he was over that. Mostly.

"Don't talk to me about the weather."

He hadn't expected the restriction on his Avatar powers; there's a brief arch of his brow in surprise before Gavin purses his lips and gives a determined nod.

"No problem. Survived most of my life without 'em."

The miasma that so often wreathes the underboss, billowing around him like he's a broken fog machine, vanishes with a flick of his wrist.

It's a good thing they hadn't been allowed Pokémon, because Lugia might've lost her mind at the knowledge that her avatar was recklessly endangering himself for no reason other than on-the-job assessment.

"I've been hunted by Genesect before," he tells his two companions. No, he will not elaborate. "So I've got the unfair advantage. You two take the wheel."

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 11:48:24 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]
[attr="class","bishoptext"]

When Bishop had signed up for the 'A Test of Courage' special training session, he had been intrigued by the subtitle 'Developing the Bravery to Face the Gods'. Enquiring about it led him to understand there were people in Hoenn called Avatars upon whom various legendary Pokémon bestowed certain powers. It seemed a little bogus to him, but then he found out was one such Avatar.[break][break]

So when Bishop heard that the underboss was also undergoing the special training session, he figured he should see it for himself. Alas, Oscar strictly prohibited use of such powers, so that was the first disappointment of the night.[break][break]

What Bishop was not expecting was the Genesect. He had never heard of a Pokémon like it in his life, let alone seen one. Bishop listened to the explanation of the training session as he examined the map of the district. Though the Kalosian had been spending a lot of time in Slateport recently, most of that time was actually spent in the Upper District, not down in the Outskirts. He would have to rely on the knowledge of his teammates.[break][break]

At Gavin's sharp instruction, Bishop turned to Johanna. "If we have all night to activate these, we should go as a group," he suggested as they exited the warehouse, hoping they were out of earshot of the strange machine-like Pokémon. "Not sure what kinda 'hunt' we're in for, but in all the horror movies, once you split up, you're dead."[break][break]

All of the marked locations on the map seemed equidistant from their current location, so Bishop tapped one at random. "Let's start here and go in a circle."

[break]

[attr="class","bishopooc"]
[break]

NOTES

Social (Special Genesect Training)

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]--accent:#B65050;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bishop]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoppkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Senpai

JoJo
She/Her
July 07
Ever Grande City
Homosexual
Theme Park Owner
Civilian
Single
170 CM height
170 CM height
A Beacon of Safety during times of War
awards
784 posts
Johanna Joy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @johanna
Johanna Joy
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 12:33:52 GMT
Johanna Joy Avatar

Courage.

Courage was a concept of which its antithesis she was intimately acquainted with. But no more. She had resigned herself to no longer let fear and cowardice dictate her life. And so she had signed up for this Rocket training exercise with as her instructor and and @bishop as fellow fearful cowards.

Proud of herself did she walk towards their meeting point, long blue twin-braided ponytails swaying with each step she took. Clad in a punkish black and purple TERAVOLT crop top, with matching Gym shorts, a small backpack with a night’s worth of supplies, and appropriate footwear. She was ready to do cardio.

The pride in her steps immediately dissipated as she saw the creature which she assumed would be hunting them. Her façade crumbled even if she tried to keep it up. And yet, she didn’t as much as say a single word of fear even if her body language and eyes did all the speaking for her.

Luckily as people began to speak she could move her attention away from the menacing creature and onto everyone else gathered there. But in doing so she realized not only that she was the only woman there, but Based on looks alone, she’d assume them much older than her. She was about to sigh, but she stopped herself just in time, as she reminded herself that it wasn’t their fault they were old.

She eyed the map as Bishop spoke. She listened to his words and saw his suggestion. “Well, this isn’t a horror movie. If we aren’t supposed to be caught, it would make more sense to split up.” Johanna spoke up, as they exited the warehouse.

“But first we need to get as much distance between us and it as possible.” And with that Johanna stormed off in the direction of the Generator that Bishop had picked. She figured the old men would just start bickering if she didn’t force the issue.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
Rosemary, heaven restores you in life.
awards
1,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 14:23:24 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
The three got right to work, an excellent idea considering the rapidly depleting sunlight. What they did not know is that from this point each generator would be about a twenty minute walk, their grace period shall run out before they find their first one. At least when the hunt starts they'll be sent running, that should help speed things up. 

Oscar looked to Genesect, "Don't start early, be patient until your timer hits zero. Also reminder number eighty five, no techno blast. Don't think I didn't notice you trying to sneak it in last time." Genesect nods to confirm its orders, and Oscar would then turn away to find his observation station.

Inside Genesect's visor, the timer rolled down rapidly. It would stand motionless as it waited to begin.

8:30 remaining
close tab

played by

thorn

the Harbinger
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,431 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 15:05:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Splitting up could be just as dangerous as going it alone. Who's going to watch the back of the one working the generator?" He shrugs, and it almost seems like that's his only point before he flashes a smirk. "Besides, it wouldn't be a performance review if I couldn't see how you're performing."

He hadn't told them beforehand that this was a performance review. No time like the present to apply the pressure; if Lugia wasn't here to do it for him, he'd have to improvise. Surprise!

Luckily for their group, Gavin won't approach this entirely from a hands-off perspective. "I used to live in this area. Not here specifically, of course," with a vague gesture toward the warehouses, "but in the apartment complex a couple blocks that way. I know the area, so I can direct us to a place to hide if we think it's getting close."

Though they only have a limited amount of time, Gavin hasn't started to rush. It was important to preserve their stamina for when they needed to run.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 15:30:11 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

A performance review. Of course. There was no other reason for an underboss to join a couple of grunts except to watch how they work — and together, as a team.[break][break]

"Cool. Hopefully we won't need hiding places, but that's great to know, boss," Bishop said to Gavin before jogging to catch up with Johanna. His long strides allowed him to reach her side in no time, and he slowed to a brisk walk. Like Gavin, he was preserving his stamina for later.[break][break]

"So, you know anything about generators or whatever?" Bishop asked her, his hands in the pockets of his jacket. He had noticed her nervousness during their briefing and couldn't help thinking she looked like a lost kid, despite obviously being a grown adult. "I'm not sure I could fix it myself, unless it responds to concussive force."[break][break]

He laughed at his own joke, the rough sound of it like a dog's bark in the rapidly growing darkness.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.bishop]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishoptext u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".bishop .bishopooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Senpai

JoJo
She/Her
July 07
Ever Grande City
Homosexual
Theme Park Owner
Civilian
Single
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
784 posts
Johanna Joy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @johanna
Johanna Joy
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 16:42:00 GMT
Johanna Joy Avatar

Gavin raised a good point, two actually. Though Johanna was not pleased to hear the latter. Still, it made sense why else would he be here if he wasn’t a grunt like them?

Even though Johanna had stormed off, she hadn’t gotten far enough away to avoid Gavin’s voice. And so even she caught the intel of his ability to provide a safe hiding place. Which they’d probably need.

It didn’t take long for both Bishop and Gavin to catch up. Both are clearly content with conserving their stamina. Perhaps she ought to do the same, and so she fell in line with them. Bishop was the first to ask her a question and laugh in the process. “Maybe. I mean, I’ve read about generators. But I’ve never worked on one.” In her eternal quest to become the best Joy, there was, she had spent countless hours in the PoryPedia Bunnelby hole, just reading about everything that had even the tiniest relation to the job.

And then she turned her attention to Gavin. Though he had been reluctant to share information, she figured she might as well ask while they made their way to the destination. “You said you had been hunted by it before. Do you know HOW it hunts? Smell, Thermal vision, something entirely different?” Johanna asked.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 1:19:53 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar

Genesect's countdown inevitably came to an end, and with its wait over Genesect could finally--do nothing. There was no burst of energy as it sprang into action, no metallic screech to announce its hunt, it just stood still. After a moment of apparent observation, Genesect began to slowly walk toward the exit the trio had left through.

This time around, Genesect could not simply follow the tracks of his prey. The warehouse district were plain and bare, so it would have to be more creative to seek out its targets. As it left the starting warehouse, Genesect attempted to keep track of little details that could indicate their path. Misplaced pebbles, shifted dirt lines, anything that could dictate signs of movement. 

It was a slow process, which caused Genesect to move at a snail's pace. Eventually the signs of movement ran out, and Genesect was left standing in the middle of the street without a direction to follow. Genesect did not worry though, it had a very easy way to find out where they went. It just needed to wait...

akbIMPmg

--From this point onward roll after your post. Rolling higher than Genesect benefits your character's goals, whether they be to get away or to find the other pages. Rolling lower than Genesect brings Genesect closer to capturing you. Roll lower than Genesect three times and your character will be caught.

, @bishop,

close tab

played by

thorn

the Harbinger
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,431 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 9:20:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Don't hope," Gavin drawls, "you'll only be disappointed."

He accepts his place in the rear of the group, long legs able to keep pace. He closes the gap only enough to ensure that he can still hear and be heard, spending no extra effort to draw up next to his companions. He doesn't interrupt their conversation about generators, speaking up only when asks him a direct question.

"It's a creature of artificial make. Thermal vision would be logical. I didn't get the chance to ask when it was hunting before." His smile is edged sharp. "Besides, I wasn't it's prime target. I only got in its way."

had been the one Genesect sought to DESTROY.

He'd brought his watch along for time-keeping purposes. "Time's up."

zlyX|kgW

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 13:01:01 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

Their head start was over already?! They hadn't even reached a generator yet! But Gavin didn't seem hurried, so Bishop continued to walk at Johanna's side, turning over the information their underboss had given them in his mind.[break][break]

"What exactly happened during that last hunt?" he asked. Maybe if Gavin shared more details, the three of them would be better equipped to fend against the beast. Or to escape it.[break][break]

There was also the option of trapping and disabling it, but somehow, Bishop doubted that was feasible. After all, what could they use? Without their Pokémon or any weapons, all they could rely on were the things they'd brought with them and their surrounding environment. Bishop himself had packed water, some power bars for energy, and a first aid kit. The description of the training session had been vague, so he'd had no clue what to expect. Certainly not whatever this was.[break][break]

YfFNAAkL

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Senpai

JoJo
She/Her
July 07
Ever Grande City
Homosexual
Theme Park Owner
Civilian
Single
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
784 posts
Johanna Joy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @johanna
Johanna Joy
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 18:11:00 GMT
Johanna Joy Avatar

Gavin’s answer was not the answer Johanna had hoped for. He might very well have said he knew nothing. Though he urged her on to assume thermal vision was a possibility due to its artificial origin. But as he had just said ‘hope’ would only lead to disappointment, and so would working on assumptions.

Still, she gave him a nod and a thoughtful nod. While she allowed Bishop to ask his question.

Meanwhile, she would try to make sure they didn’t leave any traces for the Genesect to follow. All while realizing how unprepared she was with the few food supplies and water that she had brought along.

cfkqimwR

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

Hollow

Ozzy
He/Him
March 18
Heahea City
Gay af
MAD SCIENTIST
EXECUTIVE
awards
1,969 posts
part of
TAG WITH @oscar
oscar clayton
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 1:19:59 GMT
oscar clayton Avatar
Genesect did not move from where it stood. Well it moved a little, transforming into its Hover mode preemptively (Magnet Rise). It was still waiting, it had unlimited patience and no want for time. All it had to do was wait...

The sun was starting to set fully over the horizon, casting the district into an increasingly deep darkness. By now the trio would have reached their goal, and now all they must do is repair it. The device was a standard home generator, not unlike something you would find at a hardware store. Repairing it should be difficult, but then again the possibility to screw up spectacularly is omnipresent in exercises like these.

They would not feel pressure from genesect however, after all it was currently standing still. Waiting...

XglRc5XL

--Genesect has elected Not to pursue you, and so the low rolls of the previous round will not count toward your two strikes.

--From this point onward roll after your post. Rolling higher than Genesect benefits your character's goals, whether they be to get away or to find the other pages. Rolling lower than Genesect brings Genesect closer to capturing you. Roll lower than Genesect three times and your character will be caught.

, @bishop,
close tab

played by

thorn

the Harbinger
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
8,431 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 10:24:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Genesect was attempting to seek and destroy then-underboss . It was utilizing the vents of the submarine to travel, but I don't think we'll have that problem out here." It did, however, bear mentioning that it could make itself more compact that the bladed figure they'd glimpsed at the debrief. "We had to destroy it in order to stop it, but I don't think Clayton would take kindly to destruction of property as part of this test."

They make it to the generator without incident, which to Gavin is perhaps more concerning than if they'd caught a glimpse of Genesect along the way. Amber eyes scour the darkening streets, finding nothing but shadow.

Well-practiced in skills of survival thanks to training, he'd come prepared with an adequate amount of food and water to survive the night. What he hadn't brought along was anything that might be of use to fix a generator, because that hadn't been a part of the instructions. Gavin was a scientist, not a mechanic, and he frowns at the broken object as they examine it.

"I have a delicate touch," he ventures, for the assembly of fossils required surgical precision at times, "but no experience in this sort of equipment, I'm afraid. If either of you have an inkling for what might be wrong, now's the time to speak up."

Unless they had need of his finesse, Gavin would elect to keep watch.

x6IC47Qd
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
Outlast[C]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 12:34:39 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","bishop"]

Gavin's words thus far suggested that the Genesect was previously wild, and as a creature of artificial make, Bishop assumed that meant it had been an experiment. Especially considering Gavin's mention that they had destroyed it, yet it seemed perfectly whole and functional during the briefing with Oscar.[break][break]

Was it a machine, then? Moreso than Steel-type Pokémon typically were?[break][break]

Bishop mused on these topics until the generator came into view. A wave of relief washed through him at the sight of it. The machine was nothing more than a house generator, the kind used as an electricity backup during power outages. He'd used one before.[break][break]

Feeling confident, he approached the device and checked the usual culprits: coolant levels, fuel levels, battery connections, air filter. The issue immediately became clear to him.[break][break]

"Shit, it's leaking oil," Bishop declared. "The exhaust is probably blocked up with crap. Anyone got somethin' I can use to clear it up? A brush is best, but maybe some kinda stick?"[break][break]

His gaze swept the area, seeking to improvise a tool if his companions came up empty-handed.[break][break]

KrRpUxaA

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Montserrat]
img
The Shula Region
Hogwarts AU
RPG Unlimited
MR
The Enroi Region
N:FB
Vyrehaven
Celestial Guardians, AU Sailor Moon RP
EO GENESIS
Code and Crown: An advanced literate warriors cats RP, set in medieval times